Parent and Caregiver Training
At Blythedale, we recognize the challenges of learning to care for your child while in the hospital and at home. Blythedale offers tailored education and training from the support of many disciplines so families can feel comfortable taking their child home.
Parents receive extensive training in managing their child’s condition and necessary medical equipment. If a child relies on medical technology, such as a ventilator, our staff engages parents in a thorough program of education - beginning on day one - so parents become confident and adept in all aspects of equipment use, from general operations to cleaning and maintenance.
Parents and family members may receive training in the following areas:
- Tracheostomy management and care
- Portable oxygen tanks
- Ventilator management and care
- Pulse oximeter monitoring
- Appropriate dosing and administration via oral, intramuscular, subcutaneous routes
- General feeding for infants with special considerations, etc.
- Nasogastric tube insertion, management and care
- Gastrostomy tube management and care
- Jejunostomy tube management and care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Diapering, bathing, skin care, other activities of daily living
- Care of central venous lines, mediports, peripherally inserted central lines (PICC)
- Wound Care
- Burn Care
- Using assistive devices such as: wheelchairs, braces, splints, orthotics, walkers
- Helmet fitting
Basic Cardiac Life Support Classes (known as CPR)