- Check your blood sugars more regularly. The holiday season often results in more laxed eating, reduced physical activity, increased stress and less time for self-care—all of which can make blood sugars go whacko!
- Keep up your physical activity routine! A regular exercise program can improve blood sugars and keep weight gain at bay during the holiday season. If your daily workout doesn’t feel possible during the hectic season, try breaking your exercise up into 10- to 15-minute segments, 3 to 4 times a day. Keep in mind it's important to check your sugars before and after vigorous exercise.
- Manage stress. Let’s face it, no matter how much we plan or try, the holidays tend to be hectic and stressful. Make sure that you get plenty of sleep and find a meaningful way to cope with daily stress—such as meditation, yoga, stretching, a bath with calming essential oils or other relaxation techniques that help you release physical and mental tension.
- Eat mindfully and intuitively. Stay in tune with your hunger and satiety cues and selecting foods that honor and balance your health with what makes you feel best. Just make sure to include sweets and treats as part of your total carbohydrate allowance—not in addition to it. If you do overdo it on occasion, don’t beat yourself up--- hit the dance floor or take a brisk walk after the meal to help regulate your blood sugars and get back on track with your next meal.
- Connect with the deeper meaning of the season. While many of the holiday traditions center around the table and the anticipated foods, the season is really about appreciating our loved ones and the joy of giving. Enjoy what you eat. In fact, savor each bite, but keep in mind it may never provide the same level of satisfaction as volunteering or spending quality time engaging with your family!
These materials are provided to you by Blythedale Children’s Hospital and Kohl’s
Eat Well, Be Well Nutrition Outreach Program.
For more tips and information, please visit www.blythedale.org/kohls.
Kohl's Eat Well, Be Well Program
Blythedale Children's Hospital, through the generosity of Kohl’s Department Stores, is proud to offer Blythedale and Kohl's Eat Well, Be Well, an innovative outreach program designed to bring health and nutrition education to schools throughout Westchester and Putnam counties. Through this program, Blythedale staff members teach healthy eating habits to children by providing curricula, training and educational tools to school districts throughout the area. The program provides general nutrition guidelines to students, parents and school faculty. Blythedale Children's Hospital offers experts in nutrition and health-education to speak with local parenting groups, PTAs and school personnel.
©2019 Blythedale Children's Hospital. All contents of this site are the express property of Blythedale Children's Hospital and may not be reproduced without our express written permission