Programs & Services
Treating Neurological Disorders in Children
Blythedale Children’s Hospital is a longtime leader in the treatment of children recovering from brain injury, including Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Acquired Brain Injury (ABI), post-infectious (meningitis, encephalitis, etc.), brain tumors, and stroke. The Hospital’s extraordinary multidisciplinary Brain Injury Treatment Program addresses every aspect of a patient’s recovery, including the needs of the family.
Brain injury treatment and recovery at Blythedale take on a special prominence with our dedicated TBI Unit—the newest and most modern brain injury treatment unit in New York State. The latest in neurophysiological monitoring equipment allows us to monitor patient recovery from coma and detect subclinical seizures. Each patient room is private, sound and light controlled and designed to provide a low-stimulation environmentas needed by patients recovering from TBI.
Blythedale is the only specialty children’s hospital in New York State with the capability of providing the highest level of medical care and rehabilitation for children with complex medical issues. Blythedale is well-known for its superior outcomes and the ability to help patients achieve their maximum potential and meet their treatment objectives. The goal is to help all of our young patients return to their families and communities.
Additional advantages to patients and families:
- New York State Certified TBI program.
- 24-hour in-house pediatric coverage.
- Experienced nursing staff (75% R.N., and more than 85% on the Infant and Toddler Unit).
- Full-time specialist in child neurology, child psychiatry, pediatric rehabilitation medicine and pulmonology coverage.
- Interdisciplinary clinical team trained in TBI management maximizes patient gains.
- Unit nursing provides exceptional continuity of care.
- Family-focused, patient-centered care, including family education, support groups and discharge planning.
- Staff training in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention avoids potential behavioral crises and helps patients develop and improve appropriate coping skills.
- The Mt. Pleasant Blythedale UFSD, the Hospital’s on-site New York State Special Act K-12 public school district, maximizes cognitive rehabilitation and encourages collaboration between educators, therapists, nurses, physicians and families.
On-Site Services and Support Areas Serving Patients with Brain Injuries:
- Neurology (including Neurophysiologicalmonitoring)
- Pediatric Neuropsychology
- Child Psychiatry and Psychology
- Physiatry and RehabilitationMedicine
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Pediatric Ophthalmology
- Pediatric Orthopedics
- Pediatric Nursing
- Pediatric Occupational, Physical and Speech Therapies (includingfeeding therapy)
- Child Life Services
©2014 Blythedale Children's Hospital. All contents of this site are the express property of Blythedale Children's Hospital and may not be reproduced without our express written permission.